Sunday, June 10, 2012

Camping Trip To Tower Rock

Friday Evening
We are here.  The drive wasn't too bad for a Friday at the beginning of summer - it got slow in a few places but very, very little stop-and-go. I lost any cell phone signal about 30 miles from the camp.  It wasn't a big surprise.  When we got here, Xena and I found Gryph and checked in. We took a leisurely walk around the fish pond and then checked out different places to pitch our site. A lot of what looked prime to me at first turned out to be a bit soggy.  The tent was going up on a tarp so it really wouldn't have been a problem, but I wasn't happy anyway.  We found a place that seems dry enough kinda-sorta under some trees that should protect against a southern wind.  I staked Xena out and put up the tent.  It's like 45 degrees out but I busted a sweat fairly easily and I don't think I've cooled off much yet.

Saturday Morning
After I got the tent up and our stuff inside it, I got brave? reckless? foolish? I let Xena go off leash.  The little sweetheart was in seventh heaven!  She so loves to run!  And she never goes too far away and then it's like, "Oh! I gotta go check in with momma!" and she comes flying back and does a little orbit around me.  Then it's off to the races again!  She was all over the place!  She went rocketing around this one tree and charged onto the green covering.  What she didn't know was the green was covering a pond and wasn't something to go galloping across!  She's never been a dog that really likes the water, but she swam her way around to where she could get out.  Shook herself off and was off and playing again.
Where Xena swam through the green covering.

Momma sighed, went back to the car to get a towel to dry her off some.  I wasn't sure how hard I was going to have to work to catch her to wrap her in the towel but she came right to me on her own. dried her off as good as I could and she was set to go again.  Crazy puppy!  I decided she needed to go in her crate to dry off some more.  I'm really disappointed she's not going to be cuddling with me tonight. No way is she getting in the tent with me 'til she dries off good.
I'm a little surprised how much that disappoints me. 
I slept fairly well. Warm enough and the bag is big enough so I didn't get tangled up in it while I was sleeping. Missed having Xena In the tent.  I think she did ok in the car last night. 
I've been taking lots of pictures around the campground. And I've been doing something I haven't done before. I have taking almost all pictures on Auto rather than Program.  The pics are different. I think there is at least 2stops different in the exposure. I'll have to look at them in Lightroom to see other differences. It's been interesting. Errrmmmm, just checked the camera and Program was set for 1stop underexposed =(   

Saturday Afternoon
Okay, maybe I didn't sleep so good last night!  When breakfast was over, I went in to "town" to get some batteries and I was a little dozy driving.  I passed up several pictures I wanted to take because I just wanted to get to the store and back.  Some how I managed to totally miss the turn to the campground coming back and didn't realize it until I saw snow on one of the mountains I was heading to.  That was a bit concerning.  I turned around and opened the window on the CuRVe for the fresh, cool air.  Got back to camp, pulled up a chair by the fire and Xena and I both started to doze. After a bit, I got up and went to the tent and crashed... probably for a couple hours at the least.  Woke up, under protest, and found the "sore throat" I had come down with suddenly the night before was now a full blown head cold =(  
Everyone is back from the hike.  They only went as far as the one falls. The path was wet, muddy, and slick, but they had a good time. I decided yesterday the my AFib was going to keep me from making the trip. For me, this was a really sad thing to decide.  Necessary for my health, but very hard to feel good about.  One of things that not hiking meant was I couldn't retake the pictures of the falls.  I've wanted to retake those photos for two years!

Sunday Morning
COFFEE!!! Somebody get me some coffee!  Or tea!  My dear puppy, true to form, wanted me to get up sometime around 6ish. Maybe I should have kept her in the car last night. But it was nice to see her curled up in the corner.  And when we get home tonight I'm hoping she'll sleep in the bed with me.  I miss her sleeping with me. 
And I've missed my Daughter.  Not so bad as usual because it's been busier and there are always people around even if I'm not talking to them.  But I think of Debra often.  She doesn't camp anymore so she wouldn't have been here anyway, but I always want to share moments that are good for me with her. 
I've tried to not eat too bad and I've taken my meds and insulin.  Missed my meds Friday night but I've taken all the others. I haven't been monitoring my beegees but I feel ok.. The beegees are probably a bit high' but not out of control. 
I think Xena is ready to go home. She's been sitting quietly next to me at the picnic table. The little kids seem to be running out of gas and I missed the older boys having too much to drink last night. It's time to pack it up and go.  I didn't get any of my kitchen stuff out, so it's just the tent and sleeping bag and luggage.  I think I'm just going to toss it all in the CuRVe and sort it out when I get home.  I have to figure out what I have and what I don't. 
The wind is coming up and it seems colder - definitely time to go. 
Lookin' forward to seeing the people I love!

No comments:

Post a Comment