Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Referendum 71

I am just nauseated that the vote is so close. Nauseated that only about 5 counties are passing it and while those counties may actually make a majority of votes for the state, it's still just 5 counties. I am nauseated by the No on 71 people with their talk of it doesn't matter we're going to keep fighting and we'll make this go away. Why can't people just let us be who we are: fully enfranchised, fully engaged citizens of this state and of this country?

When I was a young man, in the midst of the Jesus Movement, I sang “They Will Know We Are Christians By Our Love” and it meant something to me. I believed then and I believe now the words I sang, the words I SING now.

We are one in the Spirit, we are one in the Lord
We are one in the Spirit, we are one in the Lord
And we pray that our unity will one day be restored
And they'll know we are Christians by our love, by our love
Yeah they'll know we are Christians by our love

We will work with each other, we will work side by side
We will work with each other, we will work side by side
And we'll guard each man's dignity and save each man's pride
And they'll know we are Christians by our love, by our love
Yeah, they'll know we are Christians by our love.

My Jesus died for every soul that has drawn breath. My Jesus LOVED every man woman and child, gay or straight. Why is it my “Christian” brothers and sisters cannot see us all the way Jesus sees us?

I knowingly gave up the "rights" and "privileges" to be who I am, to be a woman and to be a woman who loves women, but it does not, does NOT mean I no longer expect to be equal to any other man or any other woman in this state, in this country, or in this world. I expect, no! DEMAND! that I and my brothers and sisters be seen and treated with the honor and respect that any human being deserves.

4 comments:

  1. Amen Sister! It will be interesting to see the outcome , I hope it is good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So do I, Jerica, so do I. I am shocked it is even close. Angry, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was worried about you Shannon, hadn't seen any blog posts from you! I've been watching the election too and it is a nail biter. For me I have no idea what relationship I may get in, could be a man, could be a woman, could be a trans man, could be a trans woman. I have no idea! Not only that but it is the right thing to do to vote yes on ref 71.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I go dry from time to time about my writing... I have thots but sometimes getting them down in black and white is really hard... Part of the problem is I tend to take a linear approach to writing and I am not really a linear thinker. My thot processes are more random and abstract if not flat out chaotic. It's been kinda hard to capture that.

    ReplyDelete